Friday, June 09, 2023

Cheese Sandwich

I was talking with a friend (hi, Friend) about "kids" who work for you when you run a business. Or, interns would also be applicable in this case. 

Sometimes you get a young'un in your workspace for the summer, and they are eager and hungry to learn the thing. Go getters! Just ready to work and learn. 

Sometimes they don't really care about the thing but they are there because a parent made the arrangement for a summer job or internship and they have to take it. They may half ass it but they take correction well, and in the end we all make friends along the way. 

Other times, the person is, well, not awesome. 

I've had some not awesome interns in my life. And I've had some unbelievably awesome interns in my life. Heck, I like to think I was an awesome nepo baby or intern myself back in the day.

My friend and I likened the humans to sandwiches. One kind is a big huge Primanti Bros sammitch piled high with all the fillings. And the other is a cheese sandwich. Just. Cheese. 

White bread, one slice of American, no mayo, no tomato. 

Both are sandwiches. Right? Which would you maybe prefer?

And I started to think about it, that my son is kind of a cheese sandwich? But with the right work environment, someone is going to put some tomato slices in there. Maybe some hummus and a couple slices of turkey. Maybe grill the sandwich a little bit so the cheese gets melty and the bread is crunchy toasty. 

But until the right place comes along, he's not the best sandwich. He has ingredients, they need to be arranged. 

I believe he'll be a good cheese sandwich with some hummus and tomato, and maybe a nice pickle on the side sometime. You know I love pickles. 

Anyway. He's been struggling with his application to take the phlebotomy licensing exam. He needs to prove he graduated from high school, so he got his high school to send him a pdf of his diploma. They didn't accept that. So he asked what they wanted. They want a transcript (note: they didn't ask for a transcript, they asked for "proof of High School Graduation," so, he gave that to them). Now he has to reach back out to the high school, get a certified transcript. 

Also, I question why you need to ask someone for proof of high school graduation when they have a college certificate of completion of a program. What, do you need his Kindergarten Graduation too? 

I kind of feel sometimes that people are cheese sandwiches, and organizations are cheese sandwiches too. This particular org may be a super important org, but to be honest, they are coming off as a moldy cheese sandwich with rancid mayo. 

It's a two way street, innit? 


No picture today. Just thoughts of cheese sandwiches.




digits:

exercise: 12/12 hours of 250 steps. 

blood glucose:

9:15am: 195
6pm: 143
10:30pm: 181

food:

coffee, water, iced coffee
noon: metformin, turkey & 3 slices of muenster on 647 rye, schmear of hummus
6:30pm: 2 pieces of chicken thighs, grilled. large plate of mixed greens, some salad topping of pepitas, nuts, cranberries, chipotle ranch dressing
wine
7pm: metformin+jardiance
8pm: fritos/handfuls of the salad topping






No comments:

Post a Comment