Monday, June 19, 2023

Lobster Necklaces

I had today off of work. 

The initial plan was that Sara (also having today off of work) and I were going to go dress shopping. We've rescheduled a couple times because after work was tired time (me) or deadlines were eating the day (Sara), or weekend was family time (me and Sara). But as today we both had off, it was perfect. No excuses. No blockers. 

But.

Her dishwasher failed last night (while running, of course) whilst everyone was in bed. She woke up to this disaster, and the cleaning up. This is the same way I do it, start it and go to bed. Now I am having second thoughts about night-time dishwashing. She's got a bad back so working on cleaning it all up has aggravated her situation. So she begged off.

It's okay. We pivot and plan for another day. 

But I do need to get her in a prom dress. Less so me. I have purchased 2 possibilities. One makes me look like a giant swimming pool but, it'll do. The other hasn't arrived yet, but I'm concerned it'll be too warm for an August indoor show. 

So. We'll get our chance to go get something, and maybe get something third for me. Maybe. 

In the meantime, I had today off of work and no plans. I didn't want to burn the day, and I had gotten up early to shower and be ready to go shopping. I had wanted to tidy up the dining table so we could do crafts and drink wine together. So finding out we're postponed saved me from doing actual work and getting showered. Ha. 

What did I do with my day?

Early enough, I went out and watered the flowers and herbs in our garden, but not the veggies. That's up for discussion. Farmer Doug said you don't water in the evening, because then things get moldy, and you don't water in the heat of the day, because then the plants bake, essentially. Or steam actually. So you have to do it before 10am or after 4pm, but not at night and not at lunch! 

Doug watered yesterday afternoon, so we'll keep an eye on things. 

I watered the marigolds which popped hugely since my last picture, and the greenery in that pot is just spilling over the steps and looking beautiful. The impatiens needs to replace the one bloom that it had, but I think I see something coming. The that purple brushy thing keeps rocking.  

I got my watering can out, and watered the herbs, put more dirt in the pots where the critter/s have been throwing the dirt around. The good news is they aren't eating the plants - they're just digging in the pots. My petunias on the table are absolutely wonderful. And the pots on the edge of the patio are doing well. Except the impatiens .... they need to have their next round of blooms too. 

I should have asked Doug to show me how to use the weed whacker because I want to finish getting the weeds out of the cracks in the patio and if I have to do it by myself, I'll do it by myself. I just don't know how to use that tool. And doing it by hand is stupid. 

There was indeed time to play phone games. And get steps in hourly. No excuses, no meetings, no roadblocks to success.

And then it did rain, right around the time I was going out to grill. Didn't pour, but enough to dampen things. 

For dinner I made a dry rub/marinade for the chicken thighs. I'm kind of sick of just "mexican" style seasonings on the chicken thighs that we grill. I mean, it's alright. But I'm a little over it. I'd like to do something more Indian style. Should do some research on that. 


Bracelets. I worked on bracelets, and I started trying to figure out how to dangle the lobsters off of the mardi gras necklaces, and filled with regret that I really should have just bought the metallic necklaces WITH the lobsters on them, but, I cheaped out and now I'm paying in sweat equity. 

When Jess was here, they tried out wire to attach the lobsters, but it didn't sing. No fault on them. But I decided to try the stretchy bracelet string and some beads. 

Well, the first pass looks like the lobster is pooping a little, doesn't it? I got the dangle "feel" but. securing the lobster so it doesn't fall off, I guess I could go with epoxy or glue gun and not leave something sticking down. 

I sat with it for a while, asked Doug what he thought and he said to turn the lobster the other way, but then I felt like it'd look like it was puking if I flipped it over.

Thinking about it, I said that it doesn't need beads hanging down. Just... one bead to secure it, and I could come up through the belly to the head. Now it looks like it has a belly button piercing. I can live with that.

Success. I guess?

It kind of needs something where the pearly bead is - maybe I can do a few little red beads coming down instead of the pearly dealie. But. I kid of dig it. 

I made three of them, and I am ready for bed. Digits below. Back to work tomorrow!

digits:

exercise: 12/12 hours of 250 steps.  Dedicated 10 plus 2, came in fast because of rain.

blood glucose:

9:15am: 171
4:30pm: 144
10:15pm: 141

food:

coffee, water
9:30am: 647 english muffin w/pbj (low sugar)
11:45am: big bowl of salad greens w/ tuna and mayo. Metformin
6pm: 2 chicken burritos (even though I said I was sick of cooking the thighs mexican style) w/avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese
6:30pm: metformin+jardiance

No comments:

Post a Comment