Sunday, December 25, 2022

A Blessed Christmas of Nothingness

Now that the kids are big, we don't go out whole hog for christmas. Or even part hog. It's much nicer. I mean, we did good stuff with the kids for Christmas, if you go back and read 20+ years of blog entries here. 

We got up at 11ish, Geoff had come upstairs while we were still sleeping, and made the coffee, so that was all ready for us. We only had cards to open, from my parents and Doug's mom.  This was all laid back and nice. We watched football.

Dinner was served at 2pm, which is so stupid early but Doug had Geoff start peeling potatoes a lot earlier than I wanted and he started to boil them, so, everything had to get kicked into gear. We had a spiral sliced ham, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole.  No Caesar salad - that'll be tomorrow I guess.

I did all the dinner work and when we were done I told the boys they get to clean up. Doug took care of the ham, slicing it all off the bone and putting it in ziploc bags for sandwiches or possible au gratin potatoes layered with ham. Geoff took care of the potatoes and green beans, not much left over from those. But a nice treat for tomorrow for someone. There's a lot of ham left for sure. And he's talking about making split pea and ham soup too.

I called my parents. My mom sounds horrible and my dad can't hear well on the phone so he says "yeah," a lot. They got chicken pot pie from their favorite restaurant, and ate that for Christmas dinner. Mom ate only a little of hers, but my dad was able to polish his off. Jess went down to visit yesterday, and had not been down for a while. We chatted with Jess around 9:30. A little late, but they were doing the dishes after making eggplant parm. It was fun to chat with them - one of the cats got up under their chin and boy I could hear that purr! 

Here's a question for you all: Jess told the waitress she'd take the check, not to give it to my grandparents. Jess very much wanted to treat them to lunch. My mother was livid - with the waitress. She told the waitress not to give Jess the check, to give it to her, but Jess was fast and got her bank card into the waitress' hand. 

Now. I feel like this is a lovely gesture. Jess is doing well enough that 40 bucks for lunch for Swirl and Baaahhhht was what they felt they wanted to give them for dinner. Doug thinks it is INSULTING to do that. Never do that to your grandparents. 

I feel differently. Grandma and grampa do a lot for the kids, and Jess just wanted the opportunity to pay it forward or back to them. Just a little. 

I've taken the tab, and paid it, dozens of times, and I've let her pay it dozens of times. It's not a big deal. Right? 

Doug and I are at complete opposite ends of this.  Life goes on, it's not a fight, it's just weird to me that it should matter that hard. 

Anyway. Two years ago I was in the hospital with the Covid, and the thing I remembered the most was while I was waiting for them to send me to the hospital from Urgent Care, I was so hungry. The nurse Mark went all over the facility to find me something to eat.  Will never forget his effort and kindness. 

And on that note, that's Christmas. That's it. Nice and Quiet for us. Hope wherever you are, whatever you're doing, there are comforts of home, someone did something for you that maybe went out of the way and over the top, or you did so for someone else. And I do hope that you are quiet, calm, and happy. 

Cheers.


digits

exercise:

blood glucose:
11am: 202
7pm: 180
11:45pm: 187

food:
coffee, water
12 noon: slice of quiche
12:30: metformin 
2pm: ham, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, 1 hawaiian roll. wine.
5:30pm: protein shake
7:30pm: slice of cheesecake w/ strawberries. Metformin+jardiance
9:30pm: protein shake (took my blood sugar and it was 250 so, took a protein shake to help lower things!)

No comments:

Post a Comment