Thursday, December 29, 2022

What a dick

At about 4pm today, I put on pants.
I put the cookie boxes in a couple of bags.
I told my team I'd be back as soon as I could.
I left the house. 

I went to the post office. 

So proud of myself. You have no idea. I picked up 7 new boxes for the ones I have not yet packaged up due to running out of small boxes. So I'm ready to package up the rest, probably tomorrow. We should be let go early tomorrow, so I will be able to finish the job. 

Part of my anxiety is the post office, sometimes it is so crowded, so busy. People are stressed and unfriendly. 

Today it was none of that. The clerks were so sweet. I had 8 boxes, we talked about how last year I sent out a bunch of boxes and some were stolen. The guy suggested I get signature required, but I said "they're cookies. I'm not sending an Oculus. It'll be okay." I told him I thought I should bake them cookies. 

I asked how long it would take for the cookies to make it places, 3 business days? He said yes, so Wednesday most likely. The girl behind me in line said "that's more than 3 business days." He said "well, Monday is a holiday so there's no mail delivery." She made a face and said "what holiday is Monday?"

It's New Year's Day observed. Since that falls on a Sunday, the actual holiday is observed on Monday. So was Christmas. 

She then said "that's crap. Everyone's always looking for a reason not to work in America today." 

I didn't feel like explaining that because Sunday is already a day off for like, a lot of people, it's customary to observe a big Sunday holiday on the Monday, and, if it falls on Saturday you do the observance on the Friday. 

I turned back to the clerk and he was smirking. I smirked back. Look at you, American Worker, just tryna not work. Get your fair day off for a blessed holiday. You lazy bastard. On your feet here all day, weighing a bunch of boxes of cookies and putting stickers on the box and taking good care not to throw them and stuff. 

I went back to the car and since the town has metered parking,  and I'd put 34 minutes of quarters into the thing, I played Pokemon for a little while. This dude in a Tesla comes flying up behind me, whips around me hard and fast, and parks in front of me - next to a fire hydrant. 

Now, I know if you are "Just running in" you in theory could pull up another car length to be next to the meter that you don't want to pay for. You are just ... gonna be a minute. Right? 

He was in the post office for ... 20. My meter expired while I was pokemon playing, and he finally came out of the post office. 

Blocking a fire hydrant. 

It made me think of my sister, her bestie Ginger, and my aunt Esther when they were driving up to Plymouth, MA and they were commenting on some other drivers. "Look at that dick." "What a dick..." 

and my aunt mutters "What a dick" when some guy pulled a classic Masshole maneuver. 

I sat there and smiled and said "Look at that dick, what a dick!" and laughed to myself. 

Being so proud of myself for leaving the house today, it was fun to sit there and chuckle for a bit. 

Digits below. Pretty good day. Sugar a little high but I had Oreos and pretzels. Not a lot. But. It has an impact. 

digits

exercise: Dedicated 10+5.  Could have done more, but I wanted to get dinner in the oven so I cut it short

blood glucose:
10am: 191
5pm: 211
10pm: 187

food:
coffee, water
11:30: 3 forkfuls of mac & cheese with ground beef
noon: apple; 2 good yogurt
1:30pm: metformin
3pm: leftover green bean casserole
6pm: french onion soup with 2 croutons; salad (romaine, cherry tomatoes, goat cheese, caesar dressing); wine
6:30pm: metformin+jardiance
7pm: some sourdough pretzel nuggets
8pm: 3 oreos
9pm: baby bell cheddar wheel
10:15pm: protein shake

No comments:

Post a Comment