Thursday, December 08, 2022

Hand Update and UnFitbit

Went to see the orthopaedist today, for a follow up. The cord from the Dupuytren's Contracture in my right hand is growing back. It's been only 8 weeks when I expected 8 years, at least. I asked him if this is "normal" and he told me it is for sure the "opposite end of the bell curve" from where he'd hoped I would be. We're going to watch it. He wants me to test placing my hand on a table once a week, and even if it won't flatten out on its own, pressing on my knuckles should get my hand flat (right now it does). When that's no longer possible, he wants to do surgery to really end this. 

Lefty is still in good condition, but same thing. We'll do surgery when it's time. 

So that's kind of uncool. Not happy. I really hoped this would be a many many year fix. Not the first time my body decided to do something contrary. I had an ablation in my uterine arteries and blood vessels a while back, that lasted/succeeded for a couple of months before we went right back to my previous state of my body trying to kill me. 

I didn't lose any weight, fully clothed I was 208.3, so that was slightly annoying. Had hoped I'd be at 205 maybe.

I am going to up my game here while the boys are out of town. Dedicated 10 plus... lots more! I won't have anyone getting in my way or coming back from their outside in the cold or hot walk, while I dance around to Guster and Wallflowers. 

Today I went to charge my fitbit and noticed it was cracked, and it wouldn't stay in the charger. And it took 3 hours to take a charge. I think I'm due for a replacement. I've had this for 8 years and have worn it daily. It has served me well. R.I.P. Flex 2.

I went to shop for this model, it is out of production on Fitbit's website. There are several for sale on Amazon, but they are refurbished and I don't know these companies. It's not like buying straight from Fitbit or from Walmart or something.  And the prices are ridiculous when I know I paid about 100 bucks for this new in 2014. So I tweeted how disappointed I was that we've come to this point in our life and crowdsourced friends for their advice on what to get. Fitbit Support Tweeted me immediately with dumb advice about using the right charger (I mentioned it wouldn't keep a charge any longer, so cookie cutter reply via tweet). 

I thanked them for the advice, took a photo of the fitbit, and said "yeah, not a problem with my charger." So they messaged me directly and offered a 35% discount on a new product. I asked if they had the Flex 2 anymore and they said it was discontinued. 

But. I don't really like their other products. They offer three trackers, and I don't care for them. I don't want a smart watch, or a touch screen. Flex 2 has a thin profile, a simple 5 dot display to let me know I'm making progress during the day, and it has a little vibration to remind me to get off my ass once an hour and walk around. The other trackers they now sell have what I think is "too much shit," I don't need to know what time it is. I don't need my pulse, or my oxygen level, or my blood glucose (how can a tracker tell through my damn skin, come on. I call shenanigans). 

I just want it to track my steps, and my sleeps. I like knowing how much I sleep more than how much I walk. 

All things fall apart. As you can see. 

I'm going to shop around, see if that 35% discount is worth my while and if I want to wear a tracker that I don't like but might grow to like I don't know. But this little bean isn't going to last. Ah well.  

Digits below.


digits

exercise: Dedicated 10+10

blood glucose
8am: 188 (at midnight, 186, so it came down last night as i had hoped)
5pm: 180
11pm: 191

food:
coffee, water
11:30am: BLT salad
5pm: a couple handfuls of mixed nuts
6pm: 2 chicken fajitas (chicken thigh slices, spicy spice!), shredded cheese, sour cream, on low carb wraps (net carbs 5 each)

No comments:

Post a Comment