Saturday, December 24, 2022

Merry Christmas, Vonnie

I slept until 11:30 today. Well, I was up at 6:45, then 8, both to let the dog out. And each time I slipped back into bed. It was cold. Very cold. My bedroom was cold. It was nice to be back under the covers. 

I had a wild dream where my best friend at work was the game master for a pokemon game, with electronic devices and board elements. A very famous podcaster and I were a team, but my friend, the game master, gave us hints on how to power up our pokemon to the ultimate strength. We won, and went to the cafeteria to order Scotch Eggs. 

They were disgusting - the person cooking didn't know how to make them, so we got 4 dozen raw eggs, some fried eggs, and some sausage, all in take-away cardboard containers. We ate the fried eggs and sausage, and threw the eggs at some buildings. 

Dreams are weird. 

Today, since I woke up just before noon, I knew I would not get to the post office. So I didn't beat myself up about it. I went to see my old boss across town and have some time with her and her kids. Only the little kid wanted to spend time with me. I swear he is my height right now. We had a great visit, and I gave them their cookies, so ... HA! some of my cookies DID get delivered. I told her I needed to go to the market, and she said she had to as well. 

We drove over, and did our shopping. We connected near the registers and I told her I'd give her a ride home (she doesn't drive, yet. She is taking her road test in January!) So we got on line to pay. The cashier's name was Yvonne, and we were talking about Christmas and I thanked her for being there tonight. She told me that she works on Christmas to make her momma proud. I asked where her momma was and she said she died in the 80s, and she misses her every year, so she works hard to make her proud. I asked if anyone called her Vonnie, and she gasped. "No one has said that to me for over 20 years. My brother used to call me Vonnie Rabbit, like Bunny Rabbit. But he's been gone for so long, like my momma." 

So I told Miss Vonnie that I appreciated her. She took my hand in hers and said she'd love to have coffee sometime, and just talk. 

Wow.

It was a little emotional. I told her I'd like that, and to be honest, I will go back to the customer service desk and leave a card for Miss Vonnie for Christmas. 

I gave J a ride home, so she didn't have to wait for an Uber, she told me that it blew her away how Vonnie and I connected, and she told me I'm magic, not enough people get that time with me to see that magic. But she sees it. 

It made me feel good. Happy Christmas to Miss Vonnie. And to one and all. 

Here's from me and Doug. Comfy at home. 

digits

exercise

blood glucose:
11am: 164
5:30pm: 202
11pm: 290 (blame the brittle)

food:
coffee, water
noon: slice of quiche, metformin
2:30pm: some ritz crackers in the car
7pm: 2 chicken thighs, big spinach salad, with goat cheese, pepitas, tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, red wine vinaigrette; metformin+jardiance
beer from Doug's trip; pecan+bacon brittle; chocolate turtle 

No comments:

Post a Comment