Saturday, December 10, 2022

The Boys Send Off

I heard Geoff bound up the stairs at 7am. He was fully packed, ready to go last night. He set up the coffee, went back downstairs and I heard the shower running. 

I got out of bed, let the dog out (who miraculously was still sleeping until he heard Geoff in the kitchen). I slipped into the guest room so Doug could keep sleeping a bit and played with my phone. I fell back asleep for a bit, and heard them talking at 8:15 about today's plans. Doug told me last night he wanted to be on the road before noon, so they wouldn't be driving in the almost dark by the time they got to Pittsburgh.

Time to get up. I have an errand to run.

Last night I had a shopping list for Target and for Giant, and I had (per usual) procrastinated getting things done. We buy our sundries at Target and our meats and veggies at Giant. So you have to go to two stores to get all your shit.  Giant charges an exorbitant price for things like shampoo, paper towel and toilet paper, cleaning supplies.  I would have sent Geoff to the markets with my list but so often he can't find something or says they don't have it so I really wanted to get the trip done myself. 

Doug mentioned he might want to come with me, so I waited for him to finish a call with his boss about something he has to finish for work. He let me know I should go by myself. So ... I ventured out.

I only made it through Target. The place was mobbed, 5pm on a Friday night. Who are these people? Why are they in my way? Oh my God get me out of here. 

Most everything I needed on my shopping list I was able to find, except for deodorant for Geoff and cookie decorating stuff. Which made me laugh thinking about how I send him places and he's always missing one or two things in the end. 

He asked for specific deodorant, and said that he always gets it at Target. But our Target has recently been remodeled to the point where I don't even know if they know where things are being put. There was a whole aisle for women's soaps, deodorant, hand lotion. Body lotion is in a completely different place. Men's soaps, deodorant, lotions - nowhere to be found. Some brand of shampoos are over there. Some are over here. I don't know what the thinking is, why they can't just have Razors for Every Kind Of Hair in one area. Shampoo for Every Kind Of Human in one place. 

They've moved foodstuffs around, and it isn't all in one place right now. It makes literally no sense. It used to be you could just go to the grocery area and boop through the aisles and get everything edible and drinkable all in one spot. Now, things like trail mix and candy are along the back, and then there is the women's clothing section, and then bread? Then... toys? Then... peanut butter? 

I spent a ridiculous amount of time looking for things and just decided to declare victory when I found the coffee grinds in the bag that I wanted, and get the hell out. I crossed everything off except the deodorant and ran for my life. 

So I still needed to get groceries for myself, unfortunately. I looked at the parking lot at Giant and it was incredibly full so I gave up, chose to go home. Last night (as you know) I folded the laundry mountain, drank a couple cocktails (with bourbon, on purpose, in honor of the boys going to Kentucky) and called it a night. My plan was to (hopefully?) not have to go to the store again the entire time the boys are gone. It was decided, I'd go to the market this morning.  

All awake this morning, we drank a little coffee, and at 9am Doug declared it was time to start thinking about getting ready to go (nod to his mom on that statement) and he went to get a shower. I got on my shoes, grabbed the Jeep keys, and headed to the market. Reluctantly.

Blissfully, no one was there. Literally, no one. Hilariously empty except for the folks stocking the shelves. I was able to motor through with my list and get everything. I have food plans for meals, I still have leftovers from this past week that I can enjoy. 

I got chicken thighs, breasts, and a roaster. Geoff asked if I was having a party and roasting the chicken for guests. I said nope - that's for me. I'm going to make myself a nice roasted chicken, and then make more stock for soups. I didn't buy potatoes so everyone be incredibly proud of me for that  epic feat of strength. I did get mashed cauliflower though. 

Shrimp was on sale, so I got two bags. We'll be able to have dinner with the shrimp when they return. If the weather is good during this time I'm alone, there is nothing better than a couple skewers of grilled shrimp on a salad. Doug hates spinach, so I got some for salad and for putting in a quiche for myself. Got that all planned out and am looking forward to it.

I also got an assortment of cookie decorating things. It's amazing what you can get when you don't wait until the 20th to start thinking about getting ready to make Christmas Cookies. Last year Doug found a recipe for christmas tree cookies that you put Dots candies behind cut-out holes, they melt in and look like christmas ornaments. I never got to making them, but this year I think I will.

When Doug travels he doesn't care to take road snacks, but I do. I get hungry! And Linda does too. You bring all your snacks (and your travel bar!) to the hotel room so you can just have snacks and drinks!  I decided he needed to just shut up and let me pack a cooler of stuff for them to take with.  

Pepperoni, Baby Bell cheeses, M&Ms (2 kinds!), Trail Mix, Oreos, Crackers... Geoff was stoked. I told him that wherever they went, if they went to a brewery, try and re-fill the cooler with a couple beers from each place and bring them home for me. I had bought ritz crackers for a New England Style fish bake but they didn't have cod at the fish counter. The kid told me the truck had not arrived. So maybe I'll do that with the shrimp if I don't feel like grilling. So I set them with 3 tubes of Ritz, and kept one for me. For maybe a recipe. Or ... hummus and cheese. Just a little bit. Not gonna eat a whole sleeve of Ritz crackers in one sitting.

Geoff helped me sort through the M&Ms so I'd have all the red ones for Rudolph's red nose for the cookies. And then we dumped the other colors into the trail mix that I bought for them because honestly, as Geoff once said "Trail mix is 50% sunflower seeds and 50% regret that there are no M&Ms." 

They loaded up the car, Geoff was surprised they were taking the Dodge, since Doug had mentioned taking the Jeep. The check engine light keeps coming on, and I drove it the other day I noticed the back shocks are shot. This is Geoff's primary vehicle getting to and from college, it's not a road trip car. I told Doug I didn't relish the idea of them being somewhere in Wherever The Hell Louisiana and the Jeep dying, and encouraged him to take the better car. It's a much comfier ride. He agreed.

They hit the road around 10:45am, well before Doug's anticipated noon. I miss them already, and Phineas missed them for 3 minutes and now is snoring his brains out on the couch. 

I asked for a picture of them before they left. A friend of mine lost her mom recently, and she's going through thousands of photos of her and the family. There are dozens of pictures of people next to cars, getting ready to travel, and she doesn't know who some of them are, or where they were going. It made me think that we don't do this much anymore as a society, do we? So I made a point of getting a shot before they left. For posterity's sake when someone is looking at pictures 50 years from now.


digits

exercise: Dedicated 10+20

blood glucose:
8am: 182
5pm: 196
10:30pm: 230

food:
Coffee, water
11am: a couple handfuls of m&ms
12:15pm: Roast beef and Muenster with mayo on 2 slices of 647 wheat bread
12:30pm: Metformin
3:45: mcintosh apple w/peanut butter
6pm: buffalo wings (from wingstop, because I bought all the food in the world and wanted delivery wings); vodka tonic
9:30pm: metformin+jardiance (I forgot to take my meds after dinner...)
lots and lots of M&Ms...

No comments:

Post a Comment