Saturday, December 03, 2022

Hotel, Motel, Holiday Inn (say what?!)

Here's the penciled itinerary for the boys. Remember, everything Doug plans is subject to change due to weather, whims, and wildness. All I want is refrigerator magnets from places I've not been to yet. I am easy to please.

Saturday, December 10th:
Early AM: Depart for Grandma's house. Staying until Wednesday am.
note: If it was me, I'd leave Tuesday. As much as I love Doug's mom, that's a lot of days.

Wednesday, December 14th:
Depart for Lexington KY, approx 6 hr trip. Via Wheeling, WVa, Columbus, OH. 

Thursday December 15th:
Lexington: Red River Gorge, Back to Lexington. Beer. Distilleries. 

Friday December 16th: 
Mammoth Cave, booked tickets to the 3 hour tour at the caves. Depart to Memphis, TN

Saturday, December 17th:
Memphis. Bridge across the river dealie to Arkansas. Beer. Distilleries. 

Sunday, December 18th:
Memphis. Depart to go through Clarksdale, Vicksburg. Possibly stay in Vicksburg or Head to New Orleans. 

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, December 19-21: 
New Orleans. Introduce Geoff to all our very favorite breweries like courtyard, Brieux Carre, show him Bourbon Street ("everyone should see it once," says Doug). Music on Frenchmen, shenanigans.

Thursday, December 22nd: 
Depart New Orleans after breakfast, scenic ride over to the Florida Panhandle, Pensacola area. Not sure why Doug thinks Pensacola's a destination but, okay. It's his road trip, and he plans good trips. I'll allow it. 

Friday, December 23rd:
Head North from Pensacola, FL, Avoid Atlanta area, go to the west and head towards Knoxville, TN. That's a 7ish hour drive right there, so perhaps stay the night, see if the Simpsons were telling the truth with the Wigsphere. 

Sidenote: Visit this hilarious True Adventure Stories blog post on Knoxville that explains it all. Maybe Doug and Geoff will get wigs, and pose out front. Like these guys did. Overall their blog is hilarious - I just fell down a giant rabbit hole reading, and am not sorry at all. 

If they stay the night on Friday, and they finish the trip back from Knoxville, that's 7ish hours to here, to our front door, on Saturday, December 24th. Which I think they should do. Very much so.

They'll be my Christmas present, arriving home safe and at home after what I hope is a great trip where they don't want to kill each other by Friday the 16th. 

We were talking about hotels, and Doug usually picks a destination in the morning, and books a hotel on travelocity when they're almost there. I told him I have about 5 or 6 nights worth of Marriott points, if he wants to stay somewhere extra fancy. Not 500 dollars a night fancy, but, fancy. 

I told him when I look to book hotels, and I want to book with Bonvoy and get more points, I aim for 150 bucks a night for the room. He almost died. 

I asked him "what? hotels cost money, dude."

He said "I aim for 70 bucks a night," and pointed double finger guns at me like "take that!"

I replied, "Yeah, ass. And that's how we end up in murder hotels or the Willcox Inn, so no. Do not do that. Don't DO THAT anymore. Stop doing that. Hotels cost more than 70 dollars!" (click the link to read the blog entry about the horrible Willcox Inn. It goes down in infamy.

"That happened once," he pooh poohed me and waved a hand dismissively. 

I said, "Um. no. We've stayed at some shitty places and some of my friends can't believe you still have a wife. Look, you've scored some nice stuff with travelocity and expedia and stuff. You got that boston hotel suite at the Taj in 2018 when we went up to see Guster, and Linda and Jess came with. That was great. But those deals sometimes are not in the area you want to be. RCJ [the work bestie] did one of those and ended up at a hotel in Dorchester, nowhere near the Seaport, and she couldn't get a refund because "deal!" So stop rolling dice and gambling. Pick a hotel. Pick a nice hotel. If you want a Bonvoy/Marriott brand, let me know I'll book it on my membership and use points for you or book it straight up and get more points for me. For when my sister and I do stupid things like go all over the country to see Guster." 

Honestly. Dude. 

I know they'll have fun, but he can have nice fun. Not cheap fun where we had to roll quarters to buy gas to drive to Florida one year. Just, go do it right and don't worry about money. 

I took a picture of Phineas today while he was eyeballing me. I look at him and he closes his eyes a little, and opens them. He squints at me. Someone told me that is a dog expressing adoration. I'll take it. 

digits below.

digits

exercise: dedicated 10+22 

blood glucose:
9:30am: 181
5pm:171
9:30pm:221

food:
coffee, water,
11:30am: tuna melt. 2 slices of 647 bread; tuna mayonnaise, 2 slices of sharp cheddar cheese. Metformin
1:00: the rest of the tuna (too little to save for later, and Doug made himself an egg sammitch).
6pm: chili (canned tomatoes, 2 kindsa beans, ground beef, spices, some fritos, shredded cheese, lite sour cream)
8pm-10pm 3 beers

No comments:

Post a Comment