Sunday, December 04, 2022

Stop Trying to Make X Happen

Friends know that I'm a sports fan. I love football, I love hockey, I'll watch baseball (sometimes, mostly the playoffs, to be honest). Speaking of playoffs, there is nothing more exciting than the Stanley Cup playoffs. Nothing.  

NCAA basketball interests me if there's a college playing that one of my good friends from high school attended. 

My college didn't have football. They had ... soccer. I have no idea sometimes how I picked that college to be completely honest. All my friends went to schools with marching bands that did field show competitions, they went to away games as a pep band, they had a blast.

"Fans" stood on the sidelines on the quad, talking. No one really watched the game. Once in a while something exciting would happen. But mostly it was people somewhat paying attention to other people run around after a ball. 

Heck, it would have been tolerable if there were stands, bleachers, something. And hey, even better would have been if you could sneak hot cocoa spiked with bourbon in and enjoy it with your friends while watching stupid soccer. A pep band to play some sort of soccer-related pep songs, like in football when we'd play "First and Ten," or "Push'em Back, Push'em WAAAY Back." 

But no. 

We had to stand around on the quad and look, and wait for stuff to happen. I had no interest in it, so I'd leave or just not show up. Meh.

Anyway, my poor life choices from 1983 mean nothing at this point in this the year of our lord 2022. I did get my lovely husband as a result, got a great education, and made my lifelong best friends through that institution so I'm not throwing shade. 

Still, Soccer. Amirite?

I hate it, and I'm sorry for people reading this who love it. But I honestly cannot get behind this sport. Floppers on the field, long extended periods of dudes just running up and down,  0-0 scores but somehow someone advances. Makes no sense, isn't exciting, and I don't care about the pumped-up drama that the tv people try to inject into the "story." 

True true true, I'm a stupid American who doesn't understand the triumph and sorrows of the teams on the world stage. I don't get the fame of one guy who makes millions and treats people like shit but everyone on the planet it seems (or like 7 billion people) adore and worship him. I mean, there's like... Tom Brady and stuff and I don't understand people who worship him either. Just play your game and be cool. 

In the movie "Mean Girls," Gretchen, keeps trying to make the word "fetch" popular. She gets yelled at by Regina to "Stop trying to make fetch happen. It's not going to happen."

I feel the same way about soccer. Stop trying to make it happen, please, already. 

Right now, we're in world cup time, and I think here in the USA people are just trying to force excitement and involvement for this. There are other countries with HUGE fandoms, and then there's the US with, some people interested just because USA or whatever. 

In the DC area, because the games start at like 8am, bars are opening early so you can come in, drink (of course!), have brunch (if the bar has a restaurant). Lines have been around the block for people to get in to go inside and watch soccer games. 

There is nothing I want to stand in line for, especially if I could do it at my own house at 8am with my own brunch, if I were, you know, into that kind of thing. Getting my ID checked to make sure I'm old enough (yes, everyone gets carded, even if you're in your mid-50s and you look it). The whole scene is ridiculous. 

Several of my co-workers are super into it, and I had to mute their Tweets because I just can't deal with people putting up things like 

SOME GUY DID A THING OMMMMGGGGG!

Truth be told, I guess that yeah, I post about Guster, all the time. And people may honestly be sick to shit of me at this point. But I'm not part of a large group of people trying to make Guster happen. They... are just what they are and where they are and a thing. And whether or not you like them, it does not matter to me. 

There isn't a national campaign to foist the Gusters on everyone. TV commercials, constant barragement, podcasts! Oh my God if I hear another ad for a USA Soccer team podcast or something about a podcast about some player... 

I'm waiting for it to go away. Please ... time, bring an end to this. 

Anyway. it will be over in two weeks, and that will be a relief for me. I'll be able to look at tweets from my friends or media agencies I like to read tweets from. 

Today we went to two breweries. One had TVs and soccer but it wasn't so crowded and horrible that we couldn't get in.  One of the beertenders is English, so she was all about cheering for her team. Very happy for her. And it was plant swap day, too!  So I came home with many plants. Knowing that they can't keep the plants that are put on the free table, I was happy to bring some babies home and we'll see if I can keep them going. There were lots of dogs and I petted many.

Then Doug suggested we stop at another brewery on the way home, where there are no TVs and no food but the staff is nice. And they have a cat, I got to pet it. Very happy.

So while I'm tired of people trying to make X happen, it was a good day all told, and I'm happy we went out into the world to do things. Some pictures below. 

some new babeees.


the mural/artwork at Right Proper in Brookland and in Downtown/Shaw is always amazing and
I never get sick of it.

digits

exercise: Dedicated 10+2, better than nothing.

blood glucose:
9:30am: 210  
6pm: 154
9pm: 230

food:
coffee, water
11am: 2 good yogurt
noon: pbj sandwich on 647 bread. 
12:45: Metformin
2:30pm: beers and vegan dumplings 
6:30pm: 2 bowls of pot roast (beef, onions, carrots, celery, no potatoes); 2 small slices of cornbread. Beer.
7:30pm: metformin+jardiance

No comments:

Post a Comment